It’s time to act! Our Afghan siblings, who risked their lives protecting and assisting U.S. troops, are arriving in Houston. Bering will be participating with YMCA International to help them feel welcome and safe and get their needs met. YMCA International is expecting to serve almost 300 Afghan SIV’s by the end of September. Here’s how we can help:
- Purchase an item from the YMCA’s Amazon Wishlist for refugees: CLICK HERE to purchase.
- Drop off NEW household items at the YMCA 6300 Westpark Drive, Suite 600, Houston, TX 77057. Furniture: new or gently used – (note: mattresses must be new) TV (new or in good working condition) New car seats, strollers, and vacuums. Floor lamps, toys (new or gently used), kitchen appliances (new or in good working condition): microwave, electric kettle, instant pot, rice cooker, blender, etc. Hygiene items, diapers and wipes, Walmart, Fiesta or Visa gift cards. Please note that they are currently not accepting any used clothing at this time.
- Donate to the Bering giving page. CLICK HERE to donate.
- Volunteer to help sort Amazon and other donations in an airconditioned warehouse. CLICK HERE to sign up.
- Be part of a small group sponsoring a family – Bering is seeking to put together 2 small groups of 6-10 people who will commit to sponsoring one family each. Sponsoring requires:
- Participating in a one-day training. (We can schedule the training so it is convenient to the group.) COVID protocols will be observed and covered in the training.
- committing for 6 months to have someone from the group contact the family three times a week to help them get acclimated. (people in the group can take turns so that no one is overly burdened) Examples include showing them how to ride the bus, take them to a museum or the zoo or out to dinner.
- Relationship building is key. They will have a case worker – that is not our job. They need friends.
- CLICK HERE to sign up.